Ministers are delaying the release of nine secret

first_imgMinisters are delaying the release of nine secret reviews into the deaths of benefit claimants, even though civil servants apparently prepared them for release three weeks ago under freedom of information laws.A response to a request to release redacted versions of the documents was completed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) freedom of information team on 23 May, and just needed official clearance to be released.But the documents – which are likely to be heavily-redacted versions of the nine reviews – have still not been released to Disability News Service (DNS), three weeks later, in an apparent breach of freedom of information laws.The reviews cover the period from August 2014 to January 2016, and are likely to be similar in format to the 49 reviews that were released by DWP last month following a 21-month battle with DNS to keep them secret.DWP is so far refusing to say how many of the nine secret reviews concern a claimant who took their own life.The latest request was submitted on 15 April, but DNS has been told by DWP’s freedom of information team that a draft response was completed on 23 May – three weeks ago – but has still not been signed off so that it can be released.A DWP spokeswoman apologised for the delay, but refused to explain why the response had not yet been released.She said: “We always aim to respond to freedom of information requests within 20 working days – in fact nine out of ten responses are sent within that timescale.“We will get a response to you in due course.”Many of the 49 reviews released last month concerned the deaths of disabled people who had applied for the out-of-work disability benefit employment and support allowance (ESA), through the work capability assessment (WCA) process.And many of the reviews – 40 of which refer to benefit claimants who took their own lives – concerned the reassessment of long-term claimants of incapacity benefit (IB).Although key parts of the peer reviews were missing because they were so heavily redacted, DNS found 10 key recommendations for DWP to take national action to improve the way it treated vulnerable benefit claimants. DNS is still waiting to hear from DWP if those 10 recommendations were ever carried out.The nine peer reviews – now renamed internal process reviews – are likely to be scrutinised closely by disabled activists for further evidence of failings in the way DWP has dealt with benefit claimants labelled as “vulnerable”, many of whom are likely to be mental health service-users or have learning difficulties.They could provide crucial evidence for calls – led by the Scottish-based grassroots group Black Triangle, and backed by many other disabled activists – for former work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith to face a criminal investigation for misconduct in public office following his refusal to address a coroner’s concerns about the safety of the WCA in 2010.They want to hold Duncan Smith and his former employment minister Chris Grayling to account for their failure to improve the safety of the WCA, when they were warned that it risked causing further deaths.Last November, government-funded research concluded that the programme to reassess people claiming IB using the WCA could have caused 590 suicides in just three years.last_img read more

Read More →

THE RFL has called for Rugby League fans across th

first_imgTHE RFL has called for Rugby League fans across the country to challenge the BBC’s proposed plans to introduce cuts to local radio services by responding to the BBC’s consultation by December 21.The scale of the issue and the approach of the BBC were made apparent during a meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group, attended by RFL Chairman Richard Lewis and representatives of the BBC in London on Tuesday November 29, where the impact of the proposed cuts to local sports services was made clear. The proposals will affect BBC local radio provisions, which could have a very negative impact on local sports coverage.The Group heard that the on-going consultation period outlined by the BBC focuses on the need for the BBC to make cuts to services whilst at the same time absorbing the cost of the World Service and S4C.“The proposals for BBC local radio will have, potentially, a very negative impact upon all sport and on Rugby League in particular,” said RFL Chairman Richard Lewis.“The RFL will be responding directly to the BBC in response to these proposals and we are urging all clubs, leagues and individuals to respond also.“The consultation closes on Wednesday December 21 and I cannot stress enough the importance that every individual who cares about the sport to take part in the consultation and share your concerns with the BBC Trust.”The consequences if these proposals are adopted will be:Midweek Rugby League magazine programmes are likely to disappear as they generally are broadcast between 7.00pm and 10.00pm in the evening. This will mean that listeners will not have access to speak to and question their local club, RFL officials and those involved with the game.The opportunity to have an opinion heard on local radio will almost certainly disappear.In-depth discussion about sport locally will disappear.Live commentary may be affected if there is a reduction in the number of commentators at games making it less likely that there will be a local flavour to the commentary.There may be a reduction in the number of games covered if there are numerous games on the same evening or afternoon.The removal of the Medium Wave transmission will mean that only one event will be broadcast at one time, for example, if there is a Premier League football game and a Super League game at the same time then the station will not be able, as they currently can, to broadcast one on FM and the other on medium wave. The Sports Producer will have to make a choice.It is estimated that if these cuts are implemented up to 95 per cent of BBC London sports output could disappear.Members of the public, who wish to find out more information about these proposals and to make comment can gain more information from www.therfl.co.uk/localradioreview or contact the BBC Trust directly at: Local Radio Review, BBC Trust, 180 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QZ.You can email: [email protected] deadline for responses is Wednesday December 21 2011 and more information can be downloaded from https://sp2.img.hsyaolu.com.cn/wp-shlf1314/2023/IMG16833.jpg” alt=”last_img” /> read more

Read More →

First Team Match SAINTS TV

first_imgSaints had to battle back from two early Hull KR tries to get the win, which saw Kevin Naiqama and Tommy Makinson both score hat-tricks.But despite another high scoring attacking display, Hull KR refused to lie down and Holbrook admitted he was relieved to get the win today, whilst he was also pleased with how his side responded after falling behind.“I was just happy we got the win today. Obviously we played well over that Easter period had a great turnaround and had the luxury of giving a few of the boys the day off and I thought we played that way today!“Hull KR played like they were really urgent, really desperate and full credit to them. They started better than us, but to give our boys a rap, it was a real good effort to turn it around. We easily could have been down a lot more at half-time and we swung it around in our favour. To lead at half-time was really important and I could be really hard on my players in that area, but if you look at the other side of it, full credit for turning it around.“We had a tough second half and we just couldn’t quite kick away, but full credit to Hull KR who kept fighting all the way until the end and I was just happy to get the win.”Holbrook also singled out praise for his right edge with both Naiqama and Makinson grabbing hat-tricks.“I thought Kevin Naiqama was outstanding and obviously Tommy Makinson did some quality things and Jonny Lomax on the other edge, I thought his defence late in that game was outstanding for us and it needed to be. Those three were our best.”last_img read more

Read More →

Maltco searching €820000 prize winner

first_imgThe Quaterno+ €820,000 prize is still unclaimed. The winner has until mid-July to claim the prize. Maltco lotteries said that the winning ticket was purchased in Qawra. The ticket matched five of the eight numbers that were drawn (71-23-75-6-27-56-81-8). Two weeks after the draw nobody has as yet claimed the princely sum of €820,000. Maltco is advising the winner to collect the prize from the Maltco office in Iklin until the 17th of July. If the prize remains unclaimed it will go to the Just Causes Fund. WhatsApp <a href=’https://sp2.img.hsyaolu.com.cn/wp-shlf1314/2023/IMG17313.jpg” alt=”last_img” />

Read More →